«We need to look into the past in order to understand the present and foresee the future»
N.A.Nazarbayev

National Museum presents exhibits from Karaganda region

2126
National Museum presents exhibits from Karaganda region
Our journalists have visited the exhibition of the National Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan "Saryarka: Gold Cradle of the Steppe Civilisation"

The large-scale exhibition "Saryarka: Gold Cradle of the Steppe Civilisation" symbolises the opening of the project "Kazakhstan trough the History of Centuries" which is implemented within the frameworks of the State Programme "The Cultural Heritage".

There are more than fourteen museums in Karaganda region. The Museum of Regional History is one of the biggest there. 617 exhibits were brought to Astana from Karaganda. The exposition presents reconstruction of holiday clothes of the Scythian warrior discovered in the burial ground Taldy-2 dating from the 7th — 6th centuries B.C. (the village named after K. Amanzholov, Karkaraly district, Karaganda region), ethnographic collection, including household objects, harness, musical instruments and silver jewellery.

ae5020a76c1bab5f744229940ca7b3d3.jpg

c85324cd25968c960408529da830c679.jpg

Horse harness (crupper, bridle, breast collar)

3ea701c4e7d4ced39458e307de759a1e.jpg

From left to right, warrior’s armour, medieval sword, shotgun, powder-flask

0caf98fee7a07102f4cf9567ecf03585.jpg

Warrior’s helmet, 18th century

1bcf2e610f0ec9896a4d4927f0369813.jpg

From right to left ortekedombra, dombra, dombra of musician A. Khasenov, dombra of akyn           Ye. Mustafin

8118d7d6e6080ba76691ef1a100660e2.jpg

Dress of People’s Artist of the KazSSR Zh. Shashkina, chapan of People’s Artist of the USSR K. Bayzhanov


The exposition also tells about the famous trade centre — Koyandy Fair which was established in 1848 in the western part of Karaganda region at the foot of the Karkaraly Mountains. Museums have preserved woven towels, oil mills, instruments for chopping cabbage, cast-iron coppers and smoothing irons, samovars, and to name but a few.

f95f90be2a7b3d3b6057606a8e1d1897.jpg

The village of Karkaralinskoe was founded in summer 1824. 42 years later it was recognised as the city. 50 km away from the city in the place called Koyandy where the steppe Taldy River flows into Karasor Lake merchant Varnava Botov established a fair for selling livestock. Rumours of the fair were widespread throughout the steppe. Every year in the late May a great number of people came there. Some of them wished to sell, some wanted to change, some — to buy and others — to watch goods. The trade turnover of the fair exceeded half a million roubles in the early 1860s. To compare, a sheep cost 2 roubles at that time.

Sale of cattle, sheep and goats brought up to 60% of turnover. Merchants and sales people sold fells, furs, plates and dishes, tea, sugar, iron and fabrics. Only 80 years later in 1928 the fair was closed.

dd567910662ce7ccd06d435d48aaa09e.jpg

Saba (container for cooking and storing kumys)

83286c832e717da32e84493be6e8e764.jpg

Skimmers

The following famous historic monuments are situated in Karaganda region: "Khan’s Quarters" of the 12th-15th centuries, Mausoleum of Alasha Khan, Bolgan Ana and many others. In the Middle Ages, the cities of Shotkara and Baskamyr were prosperous there. Photographs and models of these monuments of history and archaeology are also exhibited at the National Museum.

Certainly, the city of Karaganda is associated by Kazakhstan people with coal and metal mining. In the 1830s, coal deposits were found there. One century later intensive development of the coal industry began in this part of Kazakhstan. During the Soviet period, the fame of the Karaganda Coal Basin thundered in the whole Soviet Union.

03bb76eab962b6fbfa98ee1f55d66967.jpg

6d1f84efc40b0d51116c838aa1e6658b.jpg

The history of the region and its heroes is depicted on the canvas brought to Astana and exhibited at the National Museum.

f04e8fbf559685de4b89181f6147c9e9.jpg

ffa4bad86b5febdeb1b2932acf1620df.jpg

e51edf3c7a668dcc351cef5ac7be0cb1.jpg