|2007||In 2007 Semipalatinsk was renamed Semey|
|2009||In 2009 in Semey N.A. Nazarbayev took part in a mass-meeting in support of nuclear disarmament|
19 June 2007
In 2007 Semipalatinsk was renamed Semey
Semipalatinsk fortress was founded in 1718; it obtained the status of city in 1782. Before May 1997, when there was a reform of administrative-territorial division, resulted in the enlarging (combining) of some areas, the city was the center of abolished now Semipalatinsk region, which territory nowadays is a part of the East-Kazakhstan region. It is an important rail junction located on the Turk-Sib railway linking Russia with southern and eastern regions of Kazakhstan. It has the airport and river port.
In June 2007, by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 351 «On renaming Semipalatinsk city of East-Kazakhstan region» dated June 21, 2007, Semipalatinsk city was renamed Semey.
19 June 2009
In 2009 in Semey N.A. Nazarbayev took part in a mass-meeting in support of nuclear disarmament
On June 19, 2009 in Semey N. A. Nazarbayev took part in a mass-meeting in support of nuclear disarmament and launched an initiative to declare August 29, when the Semipalatinsk Test Site was closed, the World Day of Renunciation of Weapon of Mass Destruction
- Tomorrow 20 July
- In 1934, Karkaly district was created